How to Build a Brand Online in 10 Easy Steps
If you are just starting out, you most likely need to learn how to build a brand online. Maybe you are an established online business and need to rebrand or focus on one overall look for your brand. In general, your brand is the image that people observe, develop, and relate to. It connects you to your customers and prospects.
The branding process, including the planning and decision process, is important. These decisions have an impact on your future success. By working through these 10 steps, you’ll have established a solid brand and a plan to move forward and integrate it into all of your marketing and sales efforts.
How to Build a Brand Online
Work on completing each of these 10 steps to build your brand online –
- Identify your business vision and mission. Your branding decisions must remain true to your vision and mission in order to provide a consistent and comprehensive image to prospects and customers.
- Identify colors that best represent the brand you want to portray. These colors embody the vision and mission of my business along with the message you wish to convey.
- Choose a brand name, business name, that is easy to remember, easy to spell and can be registered as a domain name.
- Understand who your target audience is and understand what their needs, interests, and goals are. Know how your branding efforts influence your unique target customer. Check out the Customer Avatar Workbook if you need guidance.
- Know what differentiates you from my competition. Know what value you bring to prospects. Can you answer the following questions: How do you benefit your clients? Why do they like you? Why do they buy from you?
- Create a logo or hire someone to create a logo for you, that conveys your brand in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Your brand colors should be used in the logo and the should logo support your vision and mission.
- Develop a brand purpose – a statement that highlights what you provide the market, how your business is different, and what makes your business distinct.
- Create a brand personality – a statement or list of characteristics that best describe your brand. Your brand personality should embrace elements of your personality so that you can create a stronger connection with your audience. A stronger connection results in a stronger brand.
- Create a brand promise – an emotional statement that connects prospects to your brand and your company. Your brand promise and message both evoke a positive emotion.
- Create a list, and a plan for each medium, to consistently integrate my brand into various branding opportunities and marketing efforts. These include:
- Social media profiles
- Blog name
- Email signature
- Phone message
- Networking associations
Build a Brand Online – Take Your Time
It is important to take your time when you build a brand online. Your brand is who you are, what you represent, and what makes you and your business unique and different from your competition. Spend time creating your business brand and working through this checklist to ensure a comprehensive and clear brand – a brand your prospects won’t be able to resist.
Resource for Running a Successful Online Business
Running a Successful Online Business – 12 Checklists to Help You on the Path to Success digital download includes 120 actionable steps to take your business to the next level all in one easy to access format. This resource includes the 10 steps on how to build a brand online in checklist format.